Right to Know
This information is intended to help the public understand what records and information can be obtained through this police agency. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania dictates what can be obtained. Their website provides exact information as listed below.
Please also see our procedure listed below.
Please Note: Under the Right-to-Know Law, investigative reports are exempted from the definition of a “public-record”, therefore, any and all such requests will be denied.
Procedures: All requests for public records must be in writing and signed by the requester. The request should be on the universal form by the Pennsylvania Office of Open Records. The request should identify or describe the public records sought with sufficient information to enable the “Open-Records Compliance Officer” to ascertain which records are being requested and shall include a name and address to which the police department should address the response. The Borough of Berwick Police Department will not accept oral or anonymous requests for open records.
1. The Chief of Police shall serve as the “Open-Record Compliance Officer” for the Borough of Berwick Police Department.
2. All requests for public records shall be requested as follows:
Borough of Berwick Police Department
ATTN: “Open-Records Compliance Officer”
1800 North Market Street
Berwick, PA 18603
By facsimile - (570)-752-2696
In Person – Regular business hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except for holidays or other official office closings.
If a written request for public records is granted, fees will be assessed in accordance with the fee schedule allowed by Pennsylvania’s Office of Open Records.
1. Postage costs will be charged at actual postage rates.
2. Fees must be paid in full prior to the public record being released.
3. All fees shall be paid by cash, check or money order made payable to the “Borough of Berwick”.
4. “Photocopy” shall be defined as either a single sided copy or one side of a double sided copy of a standard 8.5” x 11” pages ($.25 fee per page).
5. Certified Records-$5.00 per certified record.
6. If a digital copy is requested, the storage device shall be provided by the