| Pennsylvania Protection from Abuse Act|
Pennsylvania Protection from Abuse Act
Notice of services and rights
The Borough of Berwick Police Department shall provide all abused persons with oral and written notice of the availability of a safe shelter and of domestic violence services in the community. The written notification shall include the following statement:
“If you are a victim of domestic violence, you have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting a Protection from Abuse Order for protection from abuse which could include the following:
- An order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse.
- An order directing the abuser to leave the household.
- An order preventing the abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment.
- An order awarding you or the other parent temporary custody of, or temporary visitation with, your child or children.
- An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor children, if the abuser has a legal obligation to do so.
- An emergency order may be obtained from any on-duty District Justice”.
Obtaining protection from abuse orders
- Those requesting protection from abuse orders should contact Beyond Violence at (570) 759-0298.
- After normal business hours, weekends and holidays, call (570) 784-6300 for emergency protection from abuse orders.